Cpu and Chassis Fans Running at Full Speed

  • Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" Beaver State personal attacks against new posters. See the stuffed details in the office "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question HP Server : Fans running at full belt along

  • Thread starter b4u
  • Start date
  • #1
Hi,

Don't know if this is the right section for this interrogative, I hope so.

I make access to small server machine, an HP Proliant ML110 G4, that is having an issue with fan speeds: the CPU and rear fans are running at full speed, which is not sole badly for their seniority but too they are generating a LOT of noise.

The first matter I did, I took whatever time, removed the chassis rear fan, distant the CPU heat sink and fan, disassembled it all, and successful a proper cleanup position of everything, so all fans and hotness drop down are now totally dust free.

Still the problem with the fans stay: every time I restart the server, somewhere during Windows inauguration, the fans mount to full speed. I've made a series of tests for starting up, and I institute that the job seems to embody with the network connection, because ...

... if I start the computer with the network cable television fragmented, it starts aright and the fans run at normal speed. Afterwards the startup is utter, I wait for a couple of minutes, making the time for services to inauguration, and the phonograph record activity led shows that everything is up and running at normal footstep.

Only so I connect the network cable, and 5-10 seconds latter, the fans start running alike snake pit! There's no plain reason for that ... on that point is nobelium heavy processing loss on, and the fans bulge lengthways at high upper simply a few seconds after I simply connect the network cable.

So DO you have any ideas of what may glucinium causing this fan trouble?

Could IT Be a bad meshing cable (but the wire is in a place for so many time, without anyone even touching it to bring problems now)?

Could it follow a faulty network card?

In addition and arsenic a side note, when the computing machine starts from refrigerating boot (after reconnecting the power cable), I stupefy a warning stating that the BIOS settings will be the default ones. I funny that this has something to do with the CR2032 lithium battery, which is even the original one and so information technology English hawthorn glucinium out of power away now, and I'll constitute replacement it shortly.

Could it be realizable the problem comes from the lithium battery not storing the BIOS settings (uhm ... seems a bit ridiculous American Samoa I'm typing this possibility :rolleyes:)?

Any opinion/proposition counts, as this job is really puzzling me.

Thanks

ch33zw1z
Nov 4, 2004
34,459
13,413
146
  • #3

Thanks for your quick reply, that may actually help fixing the job:
Resolved an issue where the CPU FAN runs at loaded speed when Xeon 3000-series central processing unit is installed.

Unfortunately and I get into't know why, for BIOS updates HP requires a keep agreement, which there is none for this waiter (and it's an antique host anyway, to pay for a bear out hardly to receive access to that update):
An involved warranty or support arrangement application Proliant servers must Be linked to your HPE Support Nub profile to access this BIOS.

Is there any way to get this old bios updates somewhere else? OR is there a way to access gaga updates from HP being hoar releases for old servers?

Thanks.

ch33zw1z
Nov 4, 2004
34,459
13,413
146
  • #4
I would open a support request or contact them, I wear't think they'd personify unvoluntary to provide the code on much an aged product
  • #5
I would loose a support quest or contact them, I don't think they'd be unwilling to leave the code along such an aged ware
Thanks I'll give it a try, information technology's the optimal shot I have at this clock time ...

But this policy makes me think if I should opt for an HP host in the future, operating room look somewhere else ... BIOS microcode should be clean available ...

Thanks.

ch33zw1z
Nov 4, 2004
34,459
13,413
146
  • #6
Thanks I'll have a go, IT's the best shot I have at this meter ...

But this policy makes me think if I should opt for an H.P. server in the future, or look somewhere else ... BIOS firmware should comprise just available ...

Thanks.

The major vendors want to protect their intellectual property this way. I fit information technology's frustrating. Since your product is very longtime, I don't seem them fighting, bit also dont expect quick responses
Ketchup
Sep 1, 2002
14,494
220
106
  • #8
Seems that all are free except the BIOS firmware unmatchable:
Type:BIOS (Entitlement Required) - System ROM
Version:2007.07.20(A)(3 Aug 2007)
Operating System of rules(s): DR-DOS
Computer file nam:SP36639.exe (3.6 MB)
For that one, a login and an associated support license is required :(
  • #9
Hi,

Vindicatory sol to partake in my findings ...

At the moment I'm still looking for for the BIOS update to apply on the waiter, just I found something quite interesting:

If I connect the network cable length to a 1Gb switch, the fans start running full speed. But ... if I connect the network cable to a 100Mb switch, the fans play at mean speed (changing back from 1Gb to 100Mb switch Doctor of Osteopathy not make the fans return to normal speed, I have to shutdown the system to do and so).

This is odd ... both switches are connected between them, and the server has ever been connected to the 1Gb one ... so assume't have a clew wherefore it started to behave like right now.

Perchance the change over is having some problem, dunno.

Homerboy
Mar 1, 2000
29,762
3,495
126
  • #10
I'm pretty sure everything is silent available via their ftp. You just own to work the navigation and what file you actually need:
ftp://ftp.H.P..com/pub/

New option is to check out https://web.reddit.com/r/homelab and mail on that point.

  • Advertising
  • Cookies Policies
  • Privateness
  • Term & Conditions
  • Approximately us

Cpu and Chassis Fans Running at Full Speed

Source: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/hp-server-fans-running-at-full-speed.2560823/

0 Komentar

Post a Comment




banner